Wednesday, August 8, 2012

ellis island

Ellis Island, NY

I'm in touch with my teacher in CT, and got a bit of information about what the social studies subjects are for the year. I honestly couldn't be more pleased about this 3rd grade focus - Western European immigration to the States & geography/map-reading!

My family came to America from Ireland, England, France & Hungary. I'm a regular European mutt planted in America, and several of these ancestors arrived through Ellis Island! On my first trip to New York my sophomore year of college, Ellis Island was one of the great stops. A gateway to a new life & country & future. Isn't it funny how decades later I work & save to get back to the countries they left? Even though we ended up in Chicago, the East Coast was home for my family for a while. Not only do I get to live in two of my ancestors' countries, but the first part of America they got to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment